Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Building GREAT women with Confidence!

I just spent the weekend in Boston at the Kappa Delta convention and I was inspired to greatness by the amazing women that I get to call my sisters.  These successful women spoke of confidence building, healthy body images, empowering portrayals of women in the media, lifelong learning, leadership and service to your community.   It was such an amazing experience.  Most people think sororities are just something that you do in college but I believe that it can, and should, be a lifetime experience.  The values of my sorority align with my own personal values and was not something I wanted to give up after my short college career.  Spending time with women of all ages who share those same values and believe in the power of friendship is an inspiring experience.  Being a member of an organization that promotes confidence in woman through the Confidence Coalition (which Kappa Delta founded) is such an honor.

I have often attributed most of my career and professional success to my experience in my sorority.  Through my sorority experience I met my professional role model, Shari Malone, who was the Greek Life advisor on my campus.  Because of her positive impact on my life I decided to pursue a career in college student affairs and ultimately ended up in Career Services (thanks to her husband who hired me in Career Services 15 years ago!).  She also taught me that a sorority is not a silly college girl experience, rather it is an opportunity for women to serve and lead other women, participate in service and develop professional and leadership skills in a large non-profit organization.  Being a Kappa Delta taught me about service, leadership and friendship.  I learned how to use parliamentarian procedure and run a business meeting which has served me well as president of a state professional association.  I learned valuable conversation skills and how to network and recruit.  I gained event planning and organizational skills.  I learned proper etiquette and how to carry myself with confidence and poise all of which has served me well in my career.

I serve as a chapter advisor and traveled to convention with four collegians from my chapter and another advisor.  Here are some pictures from the weekend:

This was waiting for us at registration!


We got to talk with Corre Anding Stegall - an amazing Kappa Delta leader.  Right after we took this picture she told us that she had been the National Representative that traveled to Blacksburg to colonize our chapter at Virginia Tech in the late 1970s.

Table decor and desserts!

One of our conference gifts.

Me with Caroline, our Chapter President.

At lunch with the other chapter attendees - Kate, Jackie, and Christie.

Me with Jackie our Vice President of Membership.

Trip to Fenway Park via Pedi Cabbie.






My first Fenway Frank!!



Statue outside of the Prudential Center in Boston.

The White Rose Banquet.

Our White Rose Gift.

This friendship bracelet was first presented as a Convention gift in 1913.  We received the bracelet to mark the 100 year anniversary of the gift.  The two bracelets are connected by the Kappa and the Delta.

What experiences have shaped who you are as a professional woman?  



casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall