Monday, December 17, 2012

Prayers for Sandy Hook and Newtown - Proverbs 26:1


I have been drawn to this scripture all weekend.  My heart is broken and overwhelmed by the horrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday.  I know all too well the fear, sadness and shock that Newtown is experiencing right now.  It was just a little over 5 years ago that I hid in a locked-down building on my campus at Virginia Tech with my shocked co-workers and scared students while we received periodic updates and phone calls from around campus reporting a horror that none of us were prepared for.  The sound of constant sirens blaring for hours in the distance and the parade of police cars and ambulances driving past our windows are sounds and images I will never forget.  The sick feelings of helplessness, anger, confusion, fear and utter disbelief wash over you like emotional waves.  I feel that way again when I think about the events from last Friday.  I am so very, very sad.

I can't help but cling to the brave and heroic acts that took place in Sandy Hook Elementary School on that day as my only form of solace in this horrible situation.  My husband was a teacher for 12 years and both my sisters' work in schools as a counselor and administrator.  I know that every person who is charged with the care of children would react with the same sense of protection and purpose as the faculty and staff in that school.  I am so grateful to the first responders who entered that building to protect and care for all of those children and adults.  I pray for each one of them and the horrible things they must have seen.  I mourn with every parent whose sweet innocent child was taken from them.  I send prayers of comfort to all the children who are scared and confused.  I know the community of Newtown is feeling invaded by the media and "outsiders" while they are trying to understand and cope with what has happened to their children and community.  But I hope they can feel the love and support coming from of our country. 

Mostly, I just pray for everyone in that community to be filled with the peace that only God can provide.

If you feel so inclined, donations can be made to the United Way of Western Connecticut here.
casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall