Tuesday, June 4, 2013

4 Ways LinkedIn can be useful to you as a professional

Back in November I did a post called, Developing a Strong LinkedIn Profile.  I recently ran across this infographic which I thought was the perfect follow-up to that blog post.  This infographic looks at what to do once you have your LinkedIn profile up and running.


Many people start a LinkedIn account and then have no idea what they are supposed to do with it.  I was guilty of that for the first few months I had mine.  I wasn't looking for a job and I'm not in sales or recruiting so I didn't really know how I was supposed to be using LinkedIn.

LinkedIn is a professional networking site, that really should have been all I needed to know, but still I hesitated doing much with it.  Then one day I sat down and tried to really work on my profile and use it as a marketing and branding tool for myself.  I might not be actively looking for a job right now, but I ALWAYS want the window of opportunity to be open so I decided I better look as good as possible in the social media world because you never know who is looking.

Here are four ways LinkedIn can be useful to you as a professional:

  1. It's a great job search tool.  If networking is the #1 way Americans find jobs (somewhere between 70-80%) then the #1 professional networking site, LinkedIn, should be the "go-to" tool.  
  2. It's a great professional development tool.  Join professional groups on LinkedIn and start joining in on the conversation.  Just today I got a link to a free webinar on how to network in the job search, links to several articles on career development, and a description of a great program a career center implemented at their school.  This is all expanding my knowledge and expertise in the career development field.
  3. It's a great branding tool.  Setting up my LinkedIn profile the way I want and sharing the information that I want others to know about me gives me some control over my digital footprint.  I can strategically develop my professional image and brand.  
  4. Oh yea, it's a great networking tool!  LinkedIn is how I manage most of my professional contacts.  If I meet someone at a conference or a meeting I will ask for their business card and then go connect with them on LinkedIn.  Now, I don't have to keep up with business cards and all of my professional contacts are handy all the time.  LinkedIn helps me connect with other professionals by suggesting people that I may know or want to connect with.  LinkedIn provides you with a wonderful avenue to reach out and connect with people for business and professional purposes.
How do you use LinkedIn?

casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall