Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Maxi Dress - Trend of the Month Challenge

Today I am participating in a Trend of the Month Challenge with MarionBerry Style.  In the middle of each month she announces a trend and you have one week to style a look to be included in the challenge.  Be sure to visit her blog to check out more maxi looks.

This month's trend is Maxi dresses and skirts.  They have obviously been around for a while but I had never bought one until recently.  I love the way the look on other people but I wasn't sure if my short frame could carry it off.  I found this beautiful Calvin Klein maxi dress and TJ Maxx and it was such a great deal that I decided to go for it.  Shortly after I bought the dress, MarionBerry Style announced this month's trend challenge.  So I thought, "I'm in!".  This will force me to style it and see if I like it or not.

I wore my new maxi dress on Father's Day to church and the rest of the afternoon.  It was very comfortable and I'm glad I bought it.  It looks pink in these pictures but it is actually more of a raspberry color with a slight empire waist.  It is a very casual and comfy dress.  You can't see my shoes but I'm wearing cork wedges.



Dress:  Calvin Klein via TJ Maxx.  Less than $30.

Woven Clutch:  The Loft here.  I caught it 40% off.

Sunglasses:   Dolce and Gabbana's you can find here.

Necklaces, earrings, rings and bracelet:  Silpada.

Silver Watch: Fossil via TJ Maxx. Only $35.


The back of this dress was the selling point for me.  I absolutely love it. 



I'm still not sure how I feel about myself in a Maxi dress, but it was very comfortable.  My husband says it looks like a muu muu.  I wanted to share this post with you today because sometimes it's hard to put on things when you know you don't look the way you wish you could look.  I wish I was taller and I wish had a smaller caboose, but this is what I have to work with.  Learning how to dress the body you have is one of the biggest challenges and beginning stages of developing your own style.  I'm just an everyday girl, working a full-time job, raising kids, and trying to stay fit and healthy.  Dressing the body I have in clothes that make me look polished and feel confident is my main goal.  We don't have to be a size 0 to do that, we just have to learn how to "accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative".

In looking around at other maxi dresses, I think I like the idea of having a belted or defined waist line. (Maybe that would reduce the muu muu look.)  Here are some other maxi dresses I have found that I like:






How do you feel about the MAXI trend?


casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall