Thursday, October 18, 2012

Quote of the Week: What the World Needs

I love this quote!  As a career advisor, I am always trying to get college students to think about their career planning in this way.  Too often we get caught up in what we are going to "be" when we grow up, as if graduation and their first job is the final destination.  "I'm going to be a _____________ (insert career title here:  Accountant, Doctor, Teacher) when I graduate."  or "I'm going to major in ___________ so I can work in ___________ field when I graduate".  The truth is, only about 20% of people are working in the field they earned their undergraduate degree in.  I think students should instead by asking themselves: 
  • What do I want to learn more about throughout my life?
  • What dreams do I chase?
  • What am I passionate about?
  • What makes me come alive?
  • What would I do for free?
I feel very fortunate to have found my calling and that I get to work in a field and job that makes me come alive!  I followed this path, though difficult at times (ie: graduate school, student loans, low pay, evening hours), because deep down in my soul I knew that it was a career field that felt like living rather than working.  If you can answer those questions and take your gifts and talents into the world of work I feel certain you will find success and happiness down the paths you take in life.

So, what makes you come alive?

casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall