Friday, November 23, 2012

Fashion Friday: Black Friday Shopping

I took on Black Friday and won!!  But I doubt I'll ever do it again. 

Are you one of those Black Friday Shoppers??  I have to admit that I am not.  As much as I love to shop and find a great deal, I can't enjoy shopping in all that chaos.  It stresses me out and I have always considered shopping to be very therapeutic so I choose not to Black Friday shop.  I have a good friend, Cindy, who always shops on Black Friday.  She is quite the expert.

So, today's Fashion Friday post is all about Black Friday Shopping.  Christina and I both picked out  what we would wear if we were going shopping today.  Here's what we came up with...



So you might be wondering how I won at Black Friday shopping??  Well, here's the story.  Last year after cooking, cleaning, decorating and preparing Thanksgiving for my family, my mom and both of sister's families I was lying on my couch recovering from my food coma (I was watching the end of some college football game) when I saw a commercial for an iPod touch.  My nine year son was dying for an iPod touch.  Now, I'm smart enough to know that a nine year old is not responsible enough to have  $200+ electronic device.  He can't even remember what he had for lunch much less remember where he put is $200 toy.  But really, it was the only thing he was asking for.  His sister was getting her second pair of Uggs and I always feel the pressure to spend the EXACT same amount on each child at Christmas.  Plus, he has the cutest little freckle face and big smile that is very hard to resist!!  I got on-line to order one and of course they were all sold out.  It's a mean Black Friday trick that retailers play on you.  It's sold out on-line but available in stores.  Through some quick research I saw that if I purchased the iPod touch at Target I would get a $50 gift card.  That sounded like a great idea!  I could use the gift card to buy other gifts for the kids.  So, at 12:30 AM I heading out to our Target (which is actually in the next town and about a 15 minute drive away).  When I arrived at Target I knew I was waaayy out of my league.  The parking lot was full, the parking lot across the street was full and I ended up finally finding a place at the Home Depot.  I walked into the store and I'm sure I had the baby dear in headlights look on my face.  There were ropes up directing traffic in certain directions and people were EVERYWHERE!!  I felt like I was on another planet.  I made my way back to the electronics department and that is when my luck turned.  There standing in line was my expert shopper friend, Cindy.  YAY!!  I told her what I was looking for and she yelled to the guy behind the counter, "Hey, do you have any iPod touches left?", and he said, "What color?", so I said "Black".  He reaches under the counter and throws me the iPod, "That's our last one".  VICTORY!!  I was just excited that the store actually had one left.  But then I looked at the line that was weaving all around the store and knew I would be there for hours.  Right then the clerk says, "Next!".  Cindy grabs my iPod and runs to the cash register.  She buys the iPod for me (plus she had a 20% off coupon) and I was out of the store in less than 5 minutes.  I was home and in bed by 1:15 AM.  That's how I won!!  I figure, I'm like Jerry Seinfeld - I'm just going out on top.  I will never beat that experience so I just won't even bother to try.

So, Jake was thrilled with the iPod touch to say the least.  We went to my sister's for Christmas day with the family.  He jumped on a 4-wheeler with some of his cousins and was off in the open fields of Ellett Valley (we sound like total rednecks, I know, but 4 wheelers are fun as hell!).  I noticed that Jake was gone for quite a while and he was driving along very slowly on the 4 wheeler and looking down at the ground.  YOU GUESSED IT!!  Jake lost the iPod on the 4 wheeler somewhere on 6 acres of land.  SERIOUSLY!!!  But, I think the luck of the iPod had not worn off and my brother-in-law found it laying on the driveway right next to where to 4 wheelers were parked.  So, apparently, Jake didn't even make it on the 4 wheeler before he lost the iPod.  And I was reminded again why you don't buy a nine year old a $200 gift!!  But, the iPod was found and his Christmas wasn't ruined and all was right with the world for the one day!!  It was sort of like the modern day version of A Christmas Story.  We just needed the dogs to eat the turkey and head to a Chinese restaurant for Christmas dinner.


Do you Black Friday shop?  What do you wear to last through hours of bargain shopping?

casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall