Friday, March 8, 2013

Fashion Friday: What I Wore


I've received several emails from readers looking for style advice and suggestions on what to wear for specific situations and I'm delighted to try and help out.  It got me to thinking that maybe it was time for me to share an example of what I actually wear to work.  I liken it to an interview...I tell students how important it is for them to demonstrate their skills and experiences in an interview rather than just communicate the information.  (It's like storytelling, but I will save that for another post.)  So maybe I need to demonstrate what I actually wear to work rather than just show you pictures of things I like.  If you see what I actually wear, you will know that I follow my own advice.

I had my daughter take this picture of me when I got home from work yesterday.  It's certainly not a great shot, but you will get the idea. (Blogging 101: Invest in a good camera and learn how to take pictures.  I've been researching cameras but I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.  Also, taking full length pictures is actually very hard, I am so impressed with the photography from the blogs I follow.)

Here's what I wore to work yesterday:



It's hard to tell in this picture but my pants are actually a deep purple and my belt is teal snake skin.  The teal was a great pop of color on this otherwise neutral outfit.  I like the purple pants and think they are a nice alternative to basic black.  The blazer is a soft grey tweed and I am wearing a short sleeved white shirt with a ruffle around the collar.  This is my pick on the "basic white button up" wardrobe essential.  I am carrying my new Spring bag that I got from TJ Maxx this weekend. (Check another item off my Spring Wish List.)  It's a London Fog and it's a beautiful shade of green, it's somewhere between emerald and teal and I think  it will  look great with so many different colors.  I layered my necklaces that I got from Silpada, one is a pearl, silver and glass beaded choker and the other is a silver chain with a pearl drop.  I always wear silver or white gold jewelry and Silpada sells beautiful silver jewelry that I love.  I completed the outfit with a pair of grey suede, round-tipped pumps.  I consider this a basic business casual look, sometimes my style is a little more edgy or trendy (but still office appropriate) and other times it is more formal, dressy and classic.  It's nice to have different looks for different occasions at work.

A basic white shirt is a great stand alone piece and layering option.  The classic white shirt is great to pair with cardigans and blazers, skirts, jeans and shorts.  I found these on-line at The Limited:  

Classic white button-up:


Weightless Sateen Shirt
Short-sleeved shell:
Charmeuse-Front Cap-Sleeve Top
Sleeveless blouse:


Lace-Trimmed Sheer Tie TopLace-Trimmed Sheer Tie Top

Other style ideas for a white shirt I found on Pinterest:

From Southern Grace and Sunshine Tumblr


.


From Outfit Posts blog (just found this blog and I love it so far)
Outfit Posts: outfit post: white button down, grey pencil skirt, gold belt, pink chunky bead necklace

So, that's a typical work outfit for me.  What's a typical look for you?



casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall