Thursday, March 21, 2013

Where the magic happens


I was thinking about this today during my "lunch" hour that I actually spent in a Pilates class.  I started doing Pilates in January this year and it was definitely not in my "comfort zone".  I've worked out most of my adult life and I actually enjoy working out.  Most days I look forward to it.  I like to work out because it gives me 60 minutes to rehash or decompress from a busy day.  It gives me some "Becca" time before I head home to my busy family life.  Mostly, it gives me a sense of accomplishment and at least one thing I can check off my list of things I started and actually completed that day.

But Pilates was a new kind of work out for me and out of my "comfort zone", literally.  Literally, it hurts and it's not comfortable!  But something magical is happening.  My clothes are fitting looser (no major difference on the scale, but something is definitely different), I feel more relaxed and flexible, and my aching knees and hips aren't aching as much anymore.  Positions I could barely hold for 5 seconds back in January I can now do.  It's like a personal challenge every week to see what moves I can do today that I couldn't do last week.  I compete with myself more than I ever have with anyone else.

This reminds me of all the times I stepped out of my comfort zone and did something that impacted my life.  I've always been a little bit of a risk-taker.  I remember even as a little girl wanting to ride the scariest roller coasters and the fastest rides.  I enjoy a good adrenaline rush.  I do think that stepping out of your comfort zone is easier for risk-takers but I think it's something everyone needs to do.  When you really push and force yourself to do something different, meet someone new, hone a new skill, or take on a new challenge you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone a few times this year and I'm so glad I did.  I've been serving as president of a state professional organization and through this experience I have practiced some new skills and learned a lot about myself.  I took on the task of re-decorating my sorority house and putting my style and tastes out there for public opinion and I think it turned out beautiful.  I started this blog and although writing, designing and offering career advice are really not out of my comfort zone, sharing them with the world is.  But, it has been a very rewarding experience and a great creative outlet for me.  I'm so glad I went for it!

If you think about it, our comfort zones are actually very small and there is a whole big world filled with people and experiences that are way outside of our comfort zones.  Often we have to leave the comfort zone to see what this life has in store for us.

By the way, I'm not kidding you, but as I am finishing this post Brad Paisley's song "Southern Comfort Zone" is blasting from my radio on my desk.  Life is funny, isn't it?

How do you step out of your comfort zone to find some new magic?


casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall