Friday, April 5, 2013

Fashion Friday: The Devil's in the DETAILS: 6 ways to accessorize your business casual



Details, details, details – it’s all about the details!  Details make the design.  Now, anyone who knows me well knows that I’m not usually a “details” kind of person.  I’m an “N”, or Intuitive, in the Myers-Briggs personality type.  That means I am a big picture person, not a detail person.  I take in information using my sixth sense (or intuition). I’m more abstract, theoretical and creative.  I might be caught saying “What if…”.  Maybe that intuition and creative thinking helps me notice the design details because when it comes to design, I definitely notice the details.   I notice details in clothing, jewelry and home interiors.  It might be the trim in a room, how a bookcase is styled or the feet on a dresser, I would also notice the stitching on a dress, the cut of a jacket, or the hardware on a purse.

If you have read through many of my blog posts and style ideas you will notice that I put a lot of weight on accessories.  I love accessories!  Accessories can serve as the details that really make an outfit unique and “you”.  Accessorizing can take courage, though.  You have to be willing to play around with things and try a lot of different accessories out.  Accessories can completely change the look of an outfit and help it serve for different occasions. 

Here is an example of how accessorizing can work.  I bought this deep pink/plum dress this winter when I was shopping in Greensboro.  It’s a pretty plain dress but I knew it could be worn in a lot of different ways.  Here it is…




Check out three different ways I styled the dress using a variety of accessories.


  1. First I paired the dress with a black blazer, textured tights and black suede booties.  I added a black leather necklace with a silver pendent and silver jewelry.  I wore it this way to the office.  This is a business casual look. 
  2. Next, I dressed it up quite a bit with some bling.  I added a sequins belt, a cocktail ring and all kinds of sparkly jewelry.  The black open toed heels add some sophistication.  I was going to wear this to a retirement party but ended up choosing a different dress at the last minute.  
  3. The final look is a more casual style.  I’m not wearing a belt at all so it looks more like a shift dress and I added a statement necklace and silver sandals.  I really love turquoise jewelry and I bought this necklace at a street fair in Blacksburg last summer and the turquoise bracelet is one my dad bought for my mom over 40 years ago!

Here is my advice on accessories:

Invest in some jewelry foundation pieces.  Necklaces, bracelets and earrings that are your “go to” picks.  You can layer them with other pieces to change the look up.  My “go to” pieces are a long silver link necklace, a cubic zirconia choker, black diamond drop earrings, silver hoops, a silver bracelet and, of course, pearls.  I love pearls!  Jewelry really polishes off your look. 

Everything doesn’t have to match – it just has to “go”.  If you’ve ever watched What Not To Wear you’ve heard both Stacy and Clinton say that over and over again.  I used to make things too “matchy, matchy” then I realized how much more sophisticated and creative it looks if it doesn’t appear to be part of a “set”.  I really like to use accessories for pops of color and interest. 

Shoes are your best friend.  They always fit no matter what the number on the scale says.  Shoes add so much interest and personality to your style.  “Life is too short to wear boring shoes” - one of my favorite quotes.  At the very least your shoes should be polished – you need to get rid of shoes that are scuffed up or have worn down heels.  Again, if the outfit is all pulled together but your shoes aren’t, you’ve missed an important detail to polish off your look. 

Belts are one of my favorite accessories.  They can add that pop of color and interest that I like and they can also help shape your figure.  I wear belts with pencil skirts, slacks and dresses.  I also wear them with long shirts, cardigans and blazers.  I love them with peplum tops. 

Bags, purses, and clutches.  These can be expensive accessories but well worth the investment.  Personally, I prefer bags and purses in colors rather than neutrals.  People usually notice those.  Remember, they don’t have to match your outfit they just need to “go”. 

Buy one colorful scarf per season, you will be surprised how many different items you can pair with that one scarf.  They look great with cardigans, sweaters and tunics and can add great color around your face.  Try out different ways to wear scarves, I still haven’t mastered this yet.


Have some fun accessorizing.  Accessories shouldn’t be considered “extra”, rather an essential part of your look.  It’s just as important to invest in great accessories as it is to invest in wardrobe staples.  These details polish off your look and help define your style.

What's your favorite way to accessorize?


casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall