Friday, April 12, 2013

Fashion Friday: Shopping my spring wish list

During February and March I decided to be more strategic in my shopping and try to purchase with a purpose.  I've been reading about the importance of setting a clothing budget and deciding ahead of time what you would like to add to your wardrobe.  This will hopefully cut back on some of the impulse buying that I've been known to do.  I did not set a specific budget (I've never been good at that) but I did give some thought to what I wanted to buy for the spring so I could hunt for the best deals.  Here's what I scored from my list...
The green peplum dress from The Loft, a cobalt blue trench coat and cropped white blazer from Express and a bright colored purse in green that I found at TJ Maxx.  Because of my pre-planning I was able to score an amazing deal on the green dress and only paid $30 for it (see post here), and I was able to order the trench coat and blazer from Express at 40% off and free shipping.  I paid less than $50 for the green London Fog weather proof purse.  YAY!  I didn't get the Michael Kors watch yet.  I ended up buying a new Canon Rebel DSLR camera so the watch is going to have to wait.  I'm thinking I might ask for it as a birthday present in June.

Of course, I bought other things but I was able to find some really great deals.  Here's a look at what else I got:


A bright pink blazer, polka dotted belt and mint green sandals from The Loft (all purchased at 50% off), a white lace peplum shirt and mint green and navy polka dotted shirt from Target and these great open toed mushroom colored BCBG wedges from TJ Maxx.  I also added to my jewelry collection with these great pearl pieces from Silpada -  a pearl necklace with turquoise and stone pendant, a pearl ring to wear with my stack rings and pearl stud earrings.  Check them out...
I liked the idea so much that I'm going to try it again.  Here's why I found it helpful:
  1. It makes me really give some thought to what I want to buy.  I can look for pieces that I want to add to my wardrobe, so there is a "purpose for the purchase".  I can take stock of what I have and what I need.  For example, do I need work clothes, casual clothes, new summer items??  It's strategic buying.
  2. When I'm working from a list I can shop for the best deals.  I can channel all my energy towards looking on-line and in stores for the sales.  I can be competitive and I a get a little rush when I score the best deal possible so I feel like I won the challenge!  I don't have unlimited funds so I really do need to shop smarter. 
  3. Shopping smarter actually lets me get a bigger bang for my buck.  I know I'm going to find other things that I want while I'm shopping so buying the items I want on sale frees up funds for the other "unexpected" treasures I find.  

I am working on my April/May wish list now and I will share it soon.


What do you think about setting a clothing budget and creating a wish list to shop from?  Would it work for you?


casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall