Friday, January 4, 2013

Fashion Friday: Define Your Style in 6 Easy Steps

Defining your style is the first step in building a wardrobe you will love.  But, that is easier to do for some than for others.  I have been looking at fashion magazines and style watching since I was a little girl.  My favorite "toy" growing up was old school Fashion Plates.  Remember these...

I would make different fashion illustrations and then hang them up all over my bedroom.  I would have the kids from the neighborhood over and we would play "store" in my room and walk-in closet.  I have always loved clothes and getting dressed up for all different occassions.  As I grew older I was surprised to learn that not everyone puts that much thought and effort into getting dressed everyday.  I couldn't believe that some girls don't like to shop!!  Their minds are occupied with other pursuits, and that is just fine.  But for someone who doesn't enjoy shopping or putting a lot of effort into her wardrobe the idea of defining a "personal style" is overwhelming.  Of course, some woman do care about their style but may be going through a "life change" that is challenging their current style.  For example:  post-pregnancy body change, new job, turning a certain age, losing weight, etc. Some life changes make us re-think and re-work our style.  That is normal.  In my opinion, your style should always be evolving because you are always evolving as a person.  I know I have had plenty of hits and misses over the years.  Haven't we all?

I am no style expert, that's for sure!  Although I have watched "What Not to Wear" since the very beginning (pre-Clinton Kelly believe it or not), so I think that should give me some credentials (ha ha).  I have also been working in the field of career and personal development for over 15 years and have given college students plenty of advice on interview and work attire.  The most important thing is to stay true to yourself and what you will feel comfortable wearing (especially for interviewing and working).

Here are my 5 steps to defining your STYLE:

1.  Pick someone's style that you admire and like and watch the person and pay attention to what she wears and how she wears it.  If she is a celebrity you can stalk her on the internet, if she is someone you know personally just pay attention to what she wears and take note of the little details that make it her "style".  If you feel comfortable, ask her to go shopping with you.  See where she shops and how she puts her pieces together.  I love the style of both Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston.  I always take note of what they are wearing and how how they are wearing it.


2.  Identify a couple of designers or stores that have the style of clothes you like to wear and visit them often on-line and in person.

3.  Style watch on line.  If you haven't discovered Pinterest, Polyvore, and Fashion Blogs, you need to!  My top 5 favorite fashion blogs are:
Js Everyday Fashion:  she shares an inspiration photo and then her take on the outfit.  She posts everyday.
What I Wore:  former fashion designer, currently is a style blogger and writer
Leopard and Lillies:  former buyer and current fashion blogger, photography is beautiful
Marion Berry Style:  blogs about style for the everyday busy woman and affordable fashion
Putting Me Together:  this adorable young woman is documenting the development of her own personal style and working what's already in her closet

4.  Don't worry about trends and buying designer clothes.  Buying expensive clothes doesn't make you stylish, how you work what you have makes you stylish.  Just because something is trending doesn't necessarily mean it matches your personal style.  For example:  Aztec Sweaters - they are trending now but I will never wear one.  It doesn't match my style and I would silly in it.  Don't fall into the trap of buying stuff just because it is "in" but you don't feel comfortable in it, but keep style watching so you can stay current in the pieces that do match your style.  Style is mixing your wardrobe staples and investment pieces with fun finds from all kinds of different places.  Your style does not have a price tag.  A stylish woman can look like a million bucks in a $50 outfit.  It's all about how she works it!

5.  Use accessories to define your style.  I grew up in a small college town and we literally only had three stores to shop in:  Belk, JC Penny and Sears (I'M NOT KIDDING).  So, most of the girls in my school were all wearing the same clothes because there weren't a lot of choices and there was no such thing as "on-line shopping".  The only way to make the outfit look different was with accessories. That's where my love for shoes and bags developed and when I started wearing scarves and hats.  Now, I am obsessed with jewelry too.  The best thing about accessories is that they always fit!!!  Accessories can completely make your outfit and help you define your own style.

6.  Don't be a cookie cutter!  Add one piece that is "YOU".  Your own personal touches are what define your style.  Whatever it is, own it!

(By the way, I think these same steps can be used with home design and decorating to define your living style.)

So, start exploring who you are what you like.  Inside of me lives a little bit of a preppy sorority girl, a wanna-be rock star, and a classy Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.  I try to channel all of these into my own personal style.

What defines your style?  Would you add any tips to my list?



casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall casual suits for men,casual suit,mens casual suits,casual suit jackets,casual suit jacket,mens casual linen suits,casual mens suits,casual shoes, casual shoe, casual big and tall, big and tall